According to Southwest's policy regarding unaccompanied minors, children older than five can travel without an adult. Unaccompanied minors, or UMs for short, are allowed to fly as long as they have documents verified by the government.
Following this policy, certain fees must be paid before using the service. In addition, there are guidelines that must be adhered to to fly, be picked up or dropped off, or any number of other activities. Sometimes, these guidelines are location-specific.
Southwest Airlines reservation for unaccompanied minor
When making a reservation for your minor child, you will need to provide the following information:
- The Unaccompanied Minors full name.
- Your relationship with the Unaccompanied Minor.
- The Unaccompanied Minors address.
- Unaccompanied minor's telephone number and area code.
- The Unaccompanied Minors date of birth.
- Details of the parent/guardian dropping off and picking up the Unaccompanied Minor.
- Contact details of an alternate designee at the Unaccompanied Minors destination.
- Southwest.com requires your child's birth date for online reservations. You must also indicate whether your child will travel with a 12-year-old to avoid being considered an Unaccompanied Minor. You must complete travel documents and pay the service fee.
- If you book your minor child's travel by phone or at the airport, you must tell the Customer Representative that your child is an Unaccompanied Minor and also provide your child's age.
Flights Information regarding a child flying alone
It may only sometimes be possible to avoid the situation in which you have to give your child permission to fly on their own, whether going to camp or school or off to see family. When a child travels by airplane without the presence of a parent or other adult who is legally responsible for the child, the child is considered an "Unaccompanied Minor" and requires additional supervision, which gives parents a sense of relief.
Because every airline has its own set of regulations concerning Unaccompanied Minors, such as minimum ages, fees, restrictions on the number of flights they can take, and the amenities that are provided, it is essential to research the regulations of the airline with which you intend to make a reservation.
Flying as an unaccompanied minor provides additional care throughout the process, easing the minds of anxious parents who are hesitant to let their children fly on their own. Prepare your child for their first flight without you by consulting our tips, and see below for a guide to the policies of the major airlines. Whenever you are ready to make a reservation, go to where you can search for and evaluate all of your flight options.
Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee
To use the alone minor service plan, you Must pay adult airfare and Southwest Airlines single airfare fee. The one-way cost is $50 per passenger. You have to pay double the round-trip ticket price. The overview is as per the policy, including –
Age of unaccompanied minors at the time of travel
Travel on direct flights is permitted.
Minor Service Fee (USD)
Four years and younger
5 and 11 years of age
50 each way, 100 for round trip
11 years to 17 years of age
50 each way, 100 for round trip
We understand your concerns about sending your kids alone. This anxiety is normal. The Southwest Minor travel program gives you peace of mind so your child can travel independently and safely.
Southwest airlines Unaccompanied Minor Terms & Conditions Applied
As per the Southwest Airlines minor policy, children aged 5-11 years who are not accompanied by passengers at least 12 can fly alone and are subject to an unaccompanied nominal. In addition to airfare, transportation costs are also included. Here are some other guidelines to keep in mind –
Before the Travel
- Unaccompanied minors will be charged $50 one-way and $100 round-trip in addition to Southwest's per-child fare.
- Fees for unaccompanied minors are refundable. If the flight is cancelled and the unaccompanied minor refuses to travel or waives the rebooking, or if the child is attended by an adult passenger aged 12 years or older and the unaccompanied minor Is gone, call the customer service number +1 (833) 549-4777 / (800) 435-9792 or visit the link below. Get your refund at the airport ticket office.
- The person booking a ticket certifies that he\/she is the parent or legal guardian of a minor child or authorizes them to act on behalf of the governess or legal guardian by Southwest Airlines' Unaccompanied Minor Child Policy. I must state that it is.
- Airlines reserve the right to refuse to board unaccompanied minors on flights diverted or cancelled due to weather conditions or other technical problems.
- If you travel alone as a minor, your child's birth certificate or other valid identification is required at the ticket office as proof of age.
- At check-in or when picking up unaccompanied minors, the parent or contractual guardian must present valid government-issued photo identification to airline personnel.
- Only minors are allowed on direct flights or flights on the same aircraft. Parents or legal guardians should not book connecting or Red Eye flights for children between 5 and 11 years travelling alone.
- This airline does not offer unaccompanied minor services for travel outside the United States.
Delivery of Unaccompanied Minor
- Unaccompanied minors must be accompanied to the departure gate 45 minutes before the arranged departure time. The parents or guardians responsible for dropping off their child must remain in the boarding gate area until the flight has taken off.
- Before departure, an airline representative shall make an announcement regarding preboarding for unaccompanied minors. The parent or guardian is responsible for dropping off the child to ensure that the instructions for boarding the flight are handed over to the child.
When Flight Boarded by the Unaccompanied Minor
- Upon boarding, the flight attendant shall intermittently observe or communicate with unaccompanied minors while performing other duties. It should be noted that the children shall not be under constant surveillance throughout the flight.
- It is to be said that the flight representative shall not provide escort services to unaccompanied minors either before or after their scheduled journey.
- Furthermore, the airline shall not be held accountable for any actions or conduct exhibited by the unaccompanied minor.
Taking Up the Unaccompanied Minor –
As per Southwest Airlines' unaccompanied minor policy
- The welcoming parent and legal guardian must be at the gate within 45 minutes to facilitate the transfer of the unaccompanied minor between the nominated parties before planned arrival and provide a government-issued picture ID to the airline agent,
- It is imperative to note that the airlines strictly adhere to the policy of transferring an unaccompanied minor solely to the parent or guardian who has been designated. Before the arrival of the child, the parent or guardian must liaise with the airline's personnel at the ticket counter to effect any changes to the authorized greeting.
- The Carrier reserves the right to take all reasonable and necessary measures if a designated authorized person fails to meet the unaccompanied minor upon arrival at the destination airport. Authority rests with the parent or legal guardian for compensating airlines for the travel and administrative expenses in taking such action.
Guidelines To Reserve Southwest Airlines Seats For Unaccompanied Minors
Want to book a flight for minors at the moment and get luxurious options in the most reliable way? Children can book flight tickets online, through customer support, or at the airport. You must understand Southwest's Unaccompanied Minor Policy and Fee before booking a flight.
Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor policy flight booking instructions. Here are some basic flight ticket reservation steps.
Through Official Site
Southwest Airlines' Unaccompanied Policy allows minors to book a flight ticket and manage it later through southwest.com. Southwest Airlines Flight Booking Form Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Visit southwest.com.
- Choose one-way or multi-way booking.
- Enter passenger data like dates, destinations, etc.
- Click find & search flight.
- Flight booking is done by clicking continue.
- Select the flight and complete unaccompanied minor information.
- When you book a flight after filling out all the forms and paying a fee.
- To finish, click confirm.
Over the Phone
Calling customer support is a simpler way to resolve booking issues with a live person. Southwest offers a phone customer service number +1 (833) 549-4777 / (800) 435-9792. Give the airline team the necessary information to book a flight over the phone.
Through Airport Counter
You must visit the nearby airport three hours before departure if you are not using the above method. Southwest Airlines requires the all-important document to book a flight for minors before you visit the airport.
To bring the important document to the airport.
- Minor's birth certificate for identification.
- The flying moment requires more details.
Southwest Airlines unaccompanied policy fees and policies must be understood before booking. If you're a Southwest Airlines minor and want the cheapest service, you must follow the Unaccompanied Minor Policy.
Read More :- How To Upgrade Seat On Spirit Airlines